Our “soup freezer” broke down last month, all better now (thank you Charlie Groeter and Mary Anne to the rescue). In the process of pulling all the soups out we took stock of what we had. Now we know why our savviest customers walk in and head straight for the soups. We’ve got a pretty impressive collection to suit most anyone anytime. All our soups are made here with fresh stocks, herbs, vegetables and lots of love. It may sound trite but as any true cook will tell you, there is nothing more satisfying than making a delicious soup.
Often we have some of the stocks we make, chicken of course, but also a roasted chicken jus for making sauces or gravy and fish stock. Many are vegetarian, some are vegan, all are fresh, clean and delicious. The mix is constantly changing of course but to give you an idea we’ll run down a partial list:
- Chicken Soup, far and away the best seller, they don’t call it Jewish penicillin for nothin’
- Butternut Squash and apple, made with local cider and Granny Smith apples Carrot Ginger, smooth with lots of fresh ginger and yogurt
- Italian Minestrone, rich with bean, tomato and packed with vegetables
- Minestrone Verde, a green vegetarian version of the classic
- Potato Leek, sometimes vegetarian, sometimes classic with chicken stock
- Harira, spicy with lamb, barley, lentil with lemon, traditional to break fast of Ramadan
- New England Clam Chowder, we steam fresh chowder clams ourselves!
- Vegetable Beef, packed with vegetables and beef in a rich beefy broth
- Curried Mussel, one of the most requested, check our specials menu for dates Chili con Carne, stew meat and ground meat with multiple layers of flavor
- Turkey Black Bean Chili, a popular lighter version of chili con carne
- Split Pea and Ham, simmered with smoked pork shanks
We take requests and are always happy to be reminded of something we haven’t made in a while. We also make and freeze Marinara, Putanesca, Bolognese and vodka sauce along with Lasagna and Mac n’ Cheese. Occasionally, you can find chicken pot pies or our chicken burgers with feta and olives in the freezer as well. Stop in, check it out, a couple of quarts of soup or a great sauce can be a real lifesaver if you get snowed in!